As a child, I loved having breakfast for dinner. Pancakes for dinner was always a treat for me. There was just something “naughty” about eating “breakfast food” at night. However, I never had trouble eating dinner left overs for breakfast. Even still today, I find cold left overs, especially Chinese food, a totally acceptable breakfast. Ethan doesn’t get it, but such is life. I don’t hold it against him.
I have now taken the idea of having breakfast for dinner to a whole new level and to turned breakfast into dessert. Sure, we’ve all seen Belgium waffles topped with ice cream and whipped cream but that is child’s play. Our Bailey’s French Toast turns a breakfast classic into a dessert sensation. However, if you want to have it for breakfast, we are cool with that. In fact, invite us over. Whether you want to serve this as a decadent brunch item or a show stopping dessert, Bailey’s French Toast is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
While you can use any bread you like for Bailey’s French Toast, we love using thick slices of vegan challah. For a great vegan challah recipe, check out Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. Also, french toast always works better if your bread is a little stale so it can absorb more of the batter.
1. In a mixing bowl combine the soy milk, flour, sugar, and 1/2 cup of vegan Bailey’s. Mix well to thoroughly combine. Pour the mixture into a shallow bowl, we like using a cake or pie pan.
2. Heat a griddle, or large skillet over medium heat and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
3. While the griddle is heating, dip a slice of bread into the bailey’s mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly. Carefully lift out the bread an allow any excess batter to drip back into the pan.
4. Place the bread on the griddle and cook until golden brown, about 2 – 3 minutes. Flip the bread and cook on the other side until golden brown, another 2 – 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate.
5. While the French Toast is cooking, put the whipped coconut cream into a small mixing bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of vegan Bailey’s to the bowl and using an electric mixer, whip it into the coconut cream.
6. Dollop the Bailey’s coconut cream on top of the French Toast and drizzle with chocolate syrup.